Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo Gets an A+

As my friends and family can attest, there are few things I love more than Mexican food. I'm fairly certain I could subsist on nachos, quesadillas, and empanadas if necessary. In honor of Cinco de Mayo (and the Battle of Puebla, clearly), I also wanted to share my favorite part of this glorious day- margaritas! To miss out on the craziness of today, K and I actually celebrated yesterday, but regardless of what food I'll be having later, I'm sure one of these lovelies will be the perfect accompaniment.


And while this recipe probably isn't very traditional, I tried a "Skinnygirl" margarita recently (via Bethenny Frankel) and really enjoyed it. Although I'm not a big fan of the name, I do enjoy having much of the same flavors of a traditional margarita for a fraction of the calories. 

Her recipe is super-simple and I'm sure it will be easy to replicate later today, when it's a more appropriate time to imbibe (the 'it's five-o-clock somewhere' adage only goes so far when you're sitting at a desk!). 

On the Rocks:
  • 2 oz clear premium tequila (count 1, 2 while you pour)
  • Tiny splash of orange liquor
  • Juice of 4 fresh lime wedges
Combine all ingredients over a glass of ice and garnish with a lime wedge. Makes one serving.

(Personally I add about double the lime juice to cut the strength, and I've thought about adding a pinch of sugar for a bit more sweetness, but this is the basic outline!)

I hope everyone has a day filled with Mexican-inspired festivities!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment