Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A+ Picks: Interview Style

Since I've basically finished graduate school and am biding my time until graduation, interviews have been at the forefront of my mind! As a plus-sized woman who may not always be able to find things I like in my size, I've found that picking the right thing to wear can take a bit more planning and patience in general. This is especially true of formal interview clothes, since it's not always available at every store, depending on the season.

For recent interviews, I've been relying heavily on some pieces that I picked up earlier in the year. Back in January, I was having a hard time finding suiting options at many stores, but struck a gold mine at Lane Bryant, which I hadn't been to for quite a long time. I picked up a few blazers, which I can't find on their website anymore, along with this skirt:


It's very comfortable and has transitioned well into the more dressy side of my work wardrobe. Although LB's suiting options are a bit higher in price, I feel like I've really gotten what I've paid for, since they've held up well thus far and have fabric that feels really nice and lays well. 

Since I gravitate toward skirts and dresses (as well as jeans) outside of work, I like to wear them to interviews when possible since they are what I feel most comfortable in. I also have a strong dislike for traditional button-down shirts for work (mainly because I can never press them properly!), so I prefer tops that deviate a bit from that trend.

For interviews, I've paired the skirt with a cropped blazer from LB (since it's higher-waisted I like the silhouette), a pair of black flats with a jeweled accent, and this top from Target.


Since the length is a bit short on me, I like that I'm able to tuck it into the pencil skirt for a more polished look. I like that it has a bit of pattern but doesn't come across as too bright or distracting. Because the ruffles can be a bit distracting, I've paired it with simple jewelry: typically, a pearl necklace, small-faux diamond studs, and a watch. Also, since I'm curvy, I always wear a higher-cut camisole underneath to keep everything covered and interview-appropriate.

For other plus-sized ladies that might be looking for some good interview options right now, here are some things that I think would work well.

It gets really hot out here in North Carolina pretty early in the season, so this jacket (which has matching trousers- perfect for folks that prefer pantsuits!) would be a nice way to stay relatively cool.


Since I tend to be pretty clumsy I would probably go with the black option and pair it with the top that's actually shown in the product photo.


 I really like the coral option with the white suit, but sadly it isn't listed on the website any longer. I would pair the blue shade with the black suit for a bit more contrast. Add some black flats (or heels, if you're more daring than me!) and some subtle accessories and you're all set!

For a more casual work environment, I think this next combination would be really great.


I think the details are more fun while still keeping things professional and work appropriate. I would add a white camisole under the cardigan and finish it off with some black flats. 

While interview attire definitely depends on your industry and the company you'll be meeting with, hopefully these suggestions will work for a good number of scenarios!

No comments:

Post a Comment